The Government of the Republic of Latvia and the Government of the Kingdom of Sweden, hereinafter referred to as the "Participants",
Considering that the promotion of mutual understanding between the Participants will benefit the interests of both countries,
Wishing to set forth the legal and practical framework for the implementation of bilateral defence cooperation,
Seeking to contribute to peacekeeping, security and stability in Europe and, particularly, in the Baltic Sea region,
Understanding that cooperation as provided in this Memorandum of Understanding, hereinafter referred to as the MoU, may lead to cooperation in other areas of mutual interest in the future,
Have reached the following understanding:
1. The purpose of this MoU is to promote friendly military ties between the Participants by defining the scope of cooperation in the field of defence and implementing such cooperation in accordance with the principles of equality, reciprocity and mutual benefit.
2. This MoU will be implemented within the framework of the respective laws and regulations of the two countries.
Areas of Co-operation
1. Cooperation between the Participants may take place in the following areas:
a. exchange of defence related experience and information;
b. research and development;
c. legal issues;
d. logistics, maintenance and procurement issues;
e. military technical cooperation;
f. education and training of personnel;
g. crisis management;
h. military medicine and health services;
i. other areas of cooperation, as jointly decided by the Participants.
2. When the Participants have identified a specific area of cooperation, a supplementary arrangement to this MoU will be prepared in order to develop that potential area of cooperation.
Authorized Agencies and Management
1. The implementation of this MoU will be carried out by the authorized agencies of the Participants:
a. for the Government of the Republic of Latvia: the Ministry of Defence
b. for the Government of the Kingdom of Sweden: the Ministry of Defence
2. To monitor and implement this MoU, the Participants will form a Joint Steering Committee, which will meet at times to be jointly decided with a view to exchange information on defence related matters of mutual interest.
3. To promote cooperation within the scope and areas relevant to this MoU, the Participants may decide to establish "ad hoc" expert groups with representatives from each Participant.
Protection of Classified Information
All classified information and materiel exchanged or generated in connection with this MoU will be used, transmitted, stored, handled, and safeguarded in accordance with the Agreement between the Government of the Republic of Latvia and the Government of the Kingdom of Sweden concerning the protection of classified information.
The working language will be English or as otherwise agreed.
Intellectual property rights
The national laws and regulations, as well as international agreements in force between the two countries, will apply in regard of intellectual property rights.
While staying in the territory of the Host Participant, the status of the representatives of the Sending Participant's armed forces will be governed by the Agreement among the States Parties to the North Atlantic Treaty and the Other States Participating in the Partnership for Peace regarding the Status of their Forces, signed in Brussels, on 19 June 1995 (PfP-SOFA).
This MoU does not impose any financial responsibilities on either Participant with regard to the other, i.e. each Participant will be responsible for its own costs related to the execution of this MoU if not otherwise decided by the Participants.
1. This MoU becomes effective on the date of the signature.
2. This MoU is concluded for a period of five years and will be automatically extended for periods of five years, unless one of the Participants not later then three months prior to expiration of this MoU notifies in writing the other Participant on its intention to terminate it.
3. If this MoU is terminated, the Participants will initiate negotiations to settle all outstanding mutual financial obligations, claims, disputes and security issues in accordance with this MoU.
4. This MoU may be amended at any time, in writing, by the mutual consent of the Participants.
5. Any dispute concerning the interpretation or application of this MoU will be resolved through negotiations between the Participants at the lowest possible level and will not be referred to any national or international tribunal or other third party for settlement.
This MoU is signed in Riga, on 10 December 2012, in two original copies in English, one for each Participant.
For the Government of the
Republic of Latvia
For the Government of the
Kingdom of Sweden